From The Mind Of moe

I am a Teaching assistant, wife and mother of three with many goals. I made this blog mostly to combat insanity

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Day 3 Monday June 12, 2006

Day 3 Monday June 12, 2006

In the morning we went to a nice restaurant that reminded me of El Palenque in Elkhart. Everything was very colorful and it had a fountain when you first came inside the door. We ate here each day before heading out. Breakfast was wonderful with lots of fruit and black beans with goat cheese. I think I inhaled my food the first day. My team went to a ranch church to paint. It was a long way off the beaten path. Although the dirt road we drove on looked as if it had been beaten up. This area was a place for all the workers of the ranch to live. It was a very poor area. Our interpreter told us that most of these children will never leave the ranch. The people set up little stores in their front yards and sell to each other. We painted the church inside and out. We started on the outside with a cement water base coat. The church was one room and had wrought iron windows. Thankfully I did not need to use the bathroom all day. The bathroom was in a small box of a building outback. There was a toilet but no seat, and after the spider we saw in the clean church I was a little frighten of what I might find in the dirty bathroom while I was in a position I could not easily get out of. The spider was 2 – 3 inches in diameter. This was just the body! The legs made it 4-5 inches wide. Let’s just say it was definitely easy to see from across the church crawling across the floor and up the wall. It was very hot every day and we went through many bottled waters. For lunch we walked a couple of blocks to a small house and sat outside at a long table under the trees. It was nice, but I am glad I had a good breakfast because lunch was a little past my limit. We had some lettuce and rice with veggies in it. I’m thinking ok this is fine I can do this no problem. Then came the fish, they wanted to bless us with something special. These fish not only had heads they had eyeballs and teeth! Being someone who doesn’t even eat fish sticks I was glad that the people around me loved it and ate them all. I would have felt bad it we left some and I hadn’t eaten any. I probably would not feel bad enough to eat it though. Sorry I know that is not very missionary of me. I made sure I thanked the ladies that cooked the fish. After we painted some more our kids dressed as clowns and walked the streets giving out balloon shapes and gathering children for the children service at the baseball field. We had face painting, songs a play and a puppet show. The children seemed very excited to see us.

I saw many dogs, I am not sure if they were strays or not. It saddened me to see them. They were thin and we could count their ribs. A friend of mine and I had a small scare, we thought that one dog was dead lying on the field where we were going to have children’s church. He didn’t move at all until we drove onto the field. Man we were relieved to see him get up and run off. These people barely had enough to feed themselves let alone there animals. Even though I hadn’t really connected to anyone and it was rough with the heat, bathroom, spiders, and food, I was a little sad to go. We got back around 9 pm and had something to eat from the KFC next door and went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home